Hooray! Another term down, another term survived! Yesterday marked the end of the our second exam period as first year students and we begin term 3 on Monday, October 31. “But, Karina,” you’re probably saying to yourself, “that’s 6 days away. What are you guys doing with all this time off?” Ahhh! Great question! Here is an inside look at the various ways we will be spending our “days off”.
1. No. 2 for No. 3 - Last night, the class of 2013 celebrated another term conquered by going to No. 3, a Charlottesville and Darden student favorite for good music and cheap drinks. Sadly, I was not there for the celebration — more to come in the next paragraph — but I imagine it was a blast! Our last end of term party was also at 3 and was definitely a night to remember.
2. There’s no place like home - Some folks are spending some time visiting friends & family. In fact, I write this post from the comfort of my parents’ couch. One of the awesome things about Darden is the flexbility we have with exams. We are given a time frame and are allowed to complete our exams whenever and wherever we prefer within this time period. So, on Friday night, with two exams under my belt, I took a six hour drive to NJ, surprised my parents, have had some great visits with friends and family, and finally took my last exam yesterday at home.
3. Briefings, office hours, sponsored tailgates & more — Don’t believe the hype about this being a week off. Most Darden students are spending this week attending on-campus company briefings and networking with recruiters. Others are planning/meeting about job treks — these geographically-focused student led events take place in December and are great opportunities to visit companies and explore career opportunities. Some are traveling for interviews and networking opportunities, career conferences or case competitions… others are attending on-campus tailgates or First Coffee events sponsored by companies. This is a very, very busy week!
4. 100 Case Party — Students who work hard deserve to play hard. (I’m not sure if you’ve heard, but we sure do work hard around here!) This week we are having the annual 100 Case Party, a huge party for first year students to celebrate the completion of 100 cases. (I’m not sure if the plan is to drink 100 cases, but anything is fair game! Stay tuned for pictures and/or funny stories.)
5. Miscellaneous — With what few hours are left after all of this, we are reviewing material from other classes, spending time with friends and significant others, catching up on work that needs to be done within our clubs. For example, as a member of the Student Admissions Committee, I will be spending some time this week visiting potential venues for the admitted student events, Darden Days and Day at Darden, that take place in February and April. I’ll also be spending some team preparing for a fun marketing event next month, called the Brand Challenge.
6 – Finally, and very importantly – Catching up on sleep. ‘Nuff said!!